One of the most frequent procedures in Aesthetic Surgery is the silicone implant breast augmentation. Although many women are afraid to go through the procedure because misinformation and rumors about cancerigenous properties of these implants. Those rumors were dismissed by the American Medical Association, there is no conclusive data that prove the relation of silicone breast implants with breast cancer. The follow-ups of a person who has gone through a breast augmentation are the same as a person who hasn’t. Every woman over 35 years has to get a yearly mammography to detect any kind of breast lesion.The implant has no need for a replacement unless the patient wishes for a bigger size or there is a complication.
This surgery allows us to place the surgical incision scars in strategic places to make them less noticeable, which is very convenient during the first postop months. Some surgeons like us, place the scar in the inferior pole of the gland, in the fold between the thorax and breast. This approach allows us to lift the aponeurosis or fascia of the pectoralis major muscle (The thin white film that covers meat when you are cleaning it for refrigeration) and place the implants in this plane, this will give it more protection and avoids direct contact of the mammary glands with it. Others in the areolar area or even the armpit are saline based. In the first days of postop a “very generous cleavage” can be worn since the scars are well placed. With time, the scars turn even less visible.
It is good to mention that some patients have tendencies to hypertrophic scaring or queloids. This tendency can be evaluated until a certain point during the initial consult where there will be asked certain questions about your clinical history, an analysis of family traits, which are helpful to try to determine the outcome of the scaring. Generally fair colored skin does not tend to have this scaring complication: darker colored skin has a mayor predisposition to this, although this is not an absolute rule. Several clinical and surgical resources allow us to improve previous scars on its due time.
- The breasts will have augmented volume through the surgery, improving the physical appearance and projection. Between the 18th day and the third month, the breast reaches its definitive appearance (Shape, consistency, volume, sensibility and scaring)
- In case of a pregnancy following the placement of silicone breast implants, the result can be preserved if the weight gain is controlled.
- Breastfeeding can be done, since the implant is behind the mammary gland.
- If the postop orders are followed correctly regarding the rest of the arms, there should be no major pain in the area.
- The length of the surgery shouldn’t exceed 60 minutes and can be performed with general, epidural or local anesthesia, being an ambulatory procedure.
- There is no need to remove the stitches since we use absorbable sutures.
- We should avoid exercises that compromise the thorax at least for 30 days in the postop, and lower body exercises can be continued after the tenth day.
- In cases of major mammary sagging, there should be also silicone implant placement for the correction, which increases the surgical time length and postop cares.